I have heard a lot about weighted blankets. As a preschool teacher and mother of an Autistic child they have been on my radar for a long time. I finally got one and now see why they are usually mentioned in special needs or therapy circles.
The blanket feels like a warm hug. It molds to my body hitting all the necessary pressure points for a safe feeling. The pressure of the blanket provides input to your brain releasing more of our bodies natural calming hormone called Serotonin and Melatonin. It is so relaxing. My house fights over who will use the blanket even the cats like it.
What I noticed after using the blanket:
- My son sleeps longer
- My daughter goes to sleep faster
- I feel calmer when I use it
- My cats sleep on it more than any other place in the house
- When I read and cover myself with the blanket I can ignore the sounds around me better
- You cannot toss and turn when you use this blanket so if you are someone who is up all night from tossing and turning you will want one.
- It is like getting a full body hug and who doesn't like hugs? Come on Olaf fans...you know you love them too!
- If I am not tired at bedtime instead of waiting for sleep I just get the blanket and fall asleep quickly after laying down.
The one we have is the one below but there are so many to choose from.
Thankfully it can be machine washed because this one is white and while it still looks amazing, I have cats and kids!