Teach and I don't get out much. Since the kids were born (10+ years ago) we went out three times and one of them was a catastrophe. We ended up not talking while out getting pissy about it and didn't talk for two months. UGH..marriage but we do love spending time together and well, sometimes that includes a bottle of wine and a movie after the kids go to bed.
Dead Bolt sent us red and white wine from their collection to try out. I do love their Wine Skins!
With Fall around the corner and temperatures getting cooler, heartier foods and bolder wines are becoming more of the norm, it doesn't mean the grill has to go into hibernation. Grilled steak and rich, seared scallops, accompanied by Dead Bolt Winemaker’s Red Blend and the new White Blend, are the perfect pairings to transition from summer to fall.
Dead Bolt Winemaker’s Red Blend combines the nuances of Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Petit Sirah and Shiraz, to add great complexity to the grilled steak and enhance the fruity notes of the berry sauce. Dead Bolt Winemaker's White Blend features fresh stone fruit flavors and sweet spice, with a clean finish. The combination of grapes, which includes Chardonnay and Chenin Blanc, pairs nicely with a variety of foods, especially the slightly sweet flavor of the scallops and the richness of the buttery sauce. These wines are great for entertaining because they are versatile and are great to pair with your own original recipes as well as those below.
We had ordered pizza so I opened the red. I am not a wine enthusiast but thought, red sauce/red wine. Maybe I'm crazy but as I said, what do I know.
The red wine was a beautiful red! In fact, out of the two, Teach really liked the red wine.
I preferred the white blend. Sweeter wine rather than drier is my favorite. The white was a full flavored, juicy blend of Chardonnay with Chenin Blanc. It is a light, fruity wine.
Looking to pair up some food with some yummy wine?
Grilled Steak with Red Berry Sauce and Gorgonzola
4 beef tenderloin filets (appox. 8 ounces each)
• 2 tablespoons ground black pepper
• 1 tablespoon salt
• 1tablespoon granulated onion
• 1 tablespoon granulated garlic
• 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
• 2 tablespoons paprika
1 1/2 cups red wine
1/2 cup water
2 cups sugar
1 1/2 pints raspberries
1 pint strawberries, quartered
1 pint blackberries
3 tablespoons cornstarch
Gorgonzola or blue cheese crumbles, to taste (appox. 6 ounces)
2. Heat grill to high
3. Place seasoned steaks on the grill and cook until done to your liking
4. Add the red wine to a medium saucepan over medium heat and reduce by half
5. Add the water, sugar and berries and cook on medium for 5 minutes
6. Add the cornstarch and stir until thickened
7. Place steaks on a plate and add berry sauce
8. Top with gorgonzola or blue cheese crumbles and serve
Seared Scallops with Herbed Butter Sauce
1 pound large sea scallops (muscle removed)
4 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/4 cup white wine
1 medium shallot, finely diced
1/4 cup finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
1/8 cup finely chopped chives
1/2 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
Salt and pepper
1. Chop shallots, parsley and chives
2. Rinse scallops under cold water and pat dry with a paper towel
3. Heat olive oil and one tablespoon of butter in skillet until very hot
4. Make sure scallops are dry, then place then in the pan in a single layer, and season with salt and pepper
5. Let scallops sear until one side is browned, then flip
6. Sear other side until scallops are well browned on both sides, and scallops feel firm
7. Remove scallops from heat
8. Cut remaining butter (3 tablespoons) into 6, 12-inch pieces. Add one piece to a skillet on medium heat
9. Add shallots and cook for about 1 minute, until they start to soften
10. Add the wine and reduce to half by simmering
11. Add the parsley, chives and lemon zest to the pan
12. Reduce heat to low and add remaining butter. Stir quickly until butter is fully melted
13. Add the scallops to the pan and coat each scallop with butter sauce
14. Add salt and pepper to taste.
15. Plate, and squeeze lemon juice over the top, to taste.
Pernod Ricard USA is the premium spirits and wine company in the U.S., and the largest subsidiary of Paris, France-based Pernod Ricard SA, which employs more than 18,000 people worldwide and is listed on the NYSE Euronext exchange (Ticker: RI).
The company’s leading spirits and wines include such prestigious brands as Absolut® Vodka, Chivas Regal® Scotch Whisky, The Glenlivet® Single Malt Scotch Whisky, Jameson® Irish Whiskey, Malibu® flavored rum, Kahlúa® Liqueur, Beefeater® Gin, Plymouth™ Gin, Seagram’s Extra Dry Gin®, Martell® Cognac, Hiram Walker® Liqueurs, Pernod®, Ricard® and Avión™ Tequila (through a joint venture with Tequila Avión); such superior wines as Jacob’s Creek® and Brancott Estate®; and such exquisite champagnes and sparkling wines as Perrier-Jouët® Champagne, G.H. Mumm™ Champagne and Mumm Napa® sparkling wines.
Pernod Ricard USA is based in Purchase, New York, and has roughly 850 employees across the country.
Pernod Ricard USA asks that you consume its products responsibly. For more information please visit: www.acceptresponsibility.org.
Disclaimer: We received complimentary bottles for our honest opinion