Here are some tips from celebrity eye care specialist and ophthalmologist, Dr. Richard Norden to keep your kids and your eyes safe this summer season.
- Sunglasses are your #1 defense against aging from the sun: Come on, Mom! You know the last thing you want is wrinkle! Sunglasses should be worn at all times while outdoors (even on a cloudy day). Sunglasses also help to prevent squinting and loss of elastin, both of which accelerate development of crows’ feet (wrinkles) around the eyes. They can also protect against squamous cell carcinoma, basal cell carcinoma (the most common type of skin cancer), sebaceous gland carcinoma and melanoma.
- You may want to splurge for expensive shades: Even Mason Disick is looking cute and being safe! Most quality sunglasses have adequate (95-100%) UV light protection and do the trick. The problem with inexpensive sunglasses is that they block out light which allows your pupils to dilate (get larger) and since the cheap sunglasses don’t filter out UV light, they actually allow more UV light to enter your eyes through the larger pupils. Look for 2 for 1 Mommy and Me deals!
- Size and Color Matter: We all like to know when our kids are rolling their eyes at us, but you may want to opt against light sunglasses. Sunglass lenses should be as large as possible without affecting the quality of the prescription, and wraparounds are especially helpful as well. It’s also been shown that brown or green-colored lenses are more effective at filtering out UV light than gray-colored lenses.
- Consider Polarized Lenses: Polarized lenses are great at reducing glare as they only allow in rays of light that are parallel to the ground. They don’t reduce UV light, but most polarized lenses have UV blocking in the glass as well. Plus, you’re little rockstar will be looking pretty cool!
- Don’t forget to accessorize! Additionally, to protect against UV light, it’s helpful to wear a wide-brimmed hat and apply a sun block with at least a SPF 15+ rating to the eyelids. Consider brands that are child and baby recommended!