Wednesday, November 30, 2011

CPCS Offers Mushroom Warnings

San Francisco – November 29, 2011 – Tasty mushrooms often find their way onto holiday menus, but buying cultivated varieties at a reputable food market is far safer than collecting and eating wild mushrooms, according to experts at the California Poison Control System (CPCS).

“There have already been a number of cases of poisoning from wild mushrooms this year in California since the rainy season started,” said Dr. Richard Geller, medical director for the CPCS at Children’s Hospital, Madera.  The California Department of Public Health warned on November 21 that, "it is very difficult to distinguish which mushrooms are dangerous and which are safe to eat.  Therefore, we recommend that wild mushrooms not be eaten unless they have been carefully examined and determined to be edible by a mushroom expert.” CPCS concurs with the state warning.

Eating poisonous mushrooms can cause abdominal pain, cramping, vomiting, diarrhea, liver damage and death.  The most serious illnesses and deaths have been linked to mushrooms that cause liver damage, including Amanita ocreata, or “destroying angel”, and Amanita phalloides, also known as the “death cap.”  Symptoms typically develop six to 12 hours after eating.

“No matter how experienced one is at mushroom identification, there is always a risk in eating wild mushrooms,” according to Dr. Geller.  “There are old mushroom hunters and bold mushroom hunters,” he said, “but no old, bold mushroom hunters.”  He added, “Contrary to folklore which says poison mushrooms are brightly colored, poison mushrooms typically look like most edible mushrooms.”
Individuals with symptoms following wild mushroom ingestion, or their treating health care providers, should immediately contact CPCS at 1-800-222-1222.

About CPCS
You can learn more about a variety of poison issues by following CPCS on Facebook at  and on Twitter @poisoninfo.  Sign up for weekly safety text messages to your cell phone by texting TIPS to 69866; and download a free iPhone app, Choose Your Poison, at  CPCS is dedicated to providing California residents with the most up-to-date information and 24-hour help in case of poisoning. In case of an accidental poisoning, consumers should immediately call 1-800-222-1222 for advice. Specially trained pharmacists, nurses, physicians and poison information providers are available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year to help. In most cases, a poison exposure can be safely managed in your home, avoiding a call to 911 or a visit to a crowded hospital emergency department. Many parents think about contacting the poison control services only in case of an emergency, but experts are available to answer questions any time.-----------------------------------------------------------------------
This message was sent to Maria. If you no longer wish to receive email from us, please follow the link below or copy and paste the entire link into your browser.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments. Please feel free to leave a comment. I would love to talk to you further